After the FBI said in a press conference that it was having a difficult time opening the phone of the man who killed 26 people in a baptist church in Sutherland Springs, Texas last Sunday, Apple reached out to offer its assistance.
The FBI ignored that offer, deciding that it wasn't going to send Apple legal requests to collect any data, because it feels that nothing would be accomplished. After battling Apple for most of last year over the San Bernardino case, the feds would much rather pay a hacker to retrieve the needed information.
Even if requests were sent, the FBI claims that what Apple is not saying is that it will open the shooter's phone. “Nobody has a legitimate privacy interest in this phone. The suspect is deceased,” said Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in a speech yesterday, stating that the FBI is growing weary of fighting tech companies over the encryption on these phones.